Questions About Nevada Exemptions? How, When, Where?

What happens after the Debtor files his affidavit claiming exemption?
The constable or sheriff is to release the property to the Debtor within 9 judicial days after the claim of exemption has been served unless the Creditor files an objection to the claim of exemption and notice for a hearing are not filed within 8 judicial days after the claim of exemption has been served NRS 21.112.
When is a hearing on the property exemption to be scheduled? If an objection to the claim of exemption and notice for a hearing is filed by the Creditor with the court within 8 judicial days after the claim of exemption was served, the Creditor shall also serve a notice of the date of the hearing not less than 5 judicial days before the date set for the hearing. NRS 21.112
What should I do if the creditor requests a hearing? Be prepared to prove at the hearing that your property is exempt. Bring receipts, bills of sale, Kelly Blue Books, assessors’ statements, vehicle registration renewals, monthly bank statements or whatever else is necessary to prove your claim.
If you convince the judge of your claim, he or she will order that the money or property be released to you. If the judge determines that the property is not exempt, he or she will not return the property to you.
If the judge denies my exemption claim, do I have any appeal rights?
Yes. It is best to contact an attorney immediately to obtain assistance.

Can exempt property ever be taken? There are certain situations in which otherwise exempt property can be executed upon. Included are:
• When the judgment entered against you is for child support, some of the listed exemptions such as 75% of take-home pay, do not apply.
• Where a bankruptcy court orders that the property be taken.
• If the judgment is to satisfy certain tax liens.
• Where the judgment was for the purchase, loan or improvement on that property – for example, the remaining installment payment on a used car which you bought.
What can I do if I have property or wages which are not exempt from execution?
To avoid garnishment or attachment if you have non-exempt wages or property generally your options are to either:
• Pay the debt either in full or through a payment plan that is negotiated with the creditor or imposed by a court;
• Convert non-exempt property to exempt property- for example, filing a homestead exemption on your house; or
• Erase the debt through a bankruptcy.
For expert assistance in deciding the option which is best for you may contact any bankruptcy attorney or the Law Office of Malik W. Ahmad at (702) 270-9100. They can refer to you an appropriate agency for a nominal fee to get these financial counseling and debtors education classes.
To file a bankruptcy, you should consider hiring an attorney if you can afford one.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s